2016 is blasting by and I am sure like me you’ve thought to yourself at one point 2016 is going to be the year that you get healthy, get that beach body or maybe just exercise more. While sticking to your goal remember that your health and well being is the most important thing. Don’t over do it and make sure you are having fun! We are only human so we’re always going to fall off the band wagon every now and again but hopefully these tips will help you stick to what ever goal you have set yourself to be healthy in 2016.
- Treats make the world go around if you’re like me and it gets to 3pm and all you can think about is having a sweet treat to get you through the afternoon (firstly thank the lord I’m not the only one) but try and replace that sweet treat with something a little healthier. Have a piece of fruit, some nuts or try and home make a healthy brownie or something along those lines. Treats aren’t always bad just make sure it’s a treat that isn’t going to undo you hard work and keep your self control in check.
- Organisation is the key to success. I know you’ve probably heard this before but it is so true. Find a way to fit things into your life. Whether it be waking up to go to the gym before work or exercising after work? Find what ever suits you best, you don’t have to do it every day but don’t make excuses for not exercising the only person who can exercise for you is you. While you’re doing exercise it’s important to make sure you’re eating good wholesome foods. If you’re at school or work pack your lunch the night before or allow enough time in the morning to make your lunch. You might have to wake up 20 minutes earlier but if it means you’re not going to the bakery for lunch that is 20 minutes well spend. Early nights are another thing which are definitely going to help. If you are doing more exercise than usual it’s totally normal to feel tired. Allow your body the time to rest, relax and replenish.
- Speaking of sleep if you’re struggling to sleep at all try read something. Personally I really like reading self help books they make you think outside the square and are great company to reflect on life, where you’re at and where you might be heading. If you’re looking for a self help book to read I recommend Eckheart Tolle’s ‘The Power Of Now.’ If self help books aren’t really your thing this list of Best Sellers by The New York Times is sorted into categories to help you easily find something you’ll enjoy.
- I really struggle with cravings. Most people crave either sweet or savoury things but I CRAVE BOTH! Some people will just tell you to just fight through these cravings but it’s the last thing you want constantly in the back of your mind. I have come up with a way around this. If you’re craving something savoury carrot stick and hummus are a healthy snack which tastes so good that it feels like a treat. Shop around and find a hummus without addatives and preservatives Turkish Kitchen is a brand I like to use that is free from additives and preservatives. If you’re a bit of a sweet tooth a herbal tea can get you through that craving and it’s not loaded with sugar. Healtheries have heaps of different flavours and you can buy them from most supermarkets around NZ.
- Share your exercise with someone else. Sometimes it’s hard to get enthusiastic about exercising by yourself. If you’ve got a friend, family member or pet you can exercise with it can make all the difference. Share the journey with that person. Obviously if you’re taking your dog for a run or walk they can’t really share it with you but hey dog is man’s best friend and by all means talk to them about your journey, they just might not be so good at the advise side of things…
What ever your health goal of 2016 is I hope it is going well for you and if you hadn’t thought of a health goal hopefully this has given you some food for thought and will encourage you to make the change to get the most out of this year.